This is one of our favorite things that I make. It is soooo tasty. Yum!
Gluten Free Mac & Cheese
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons rice flour
- 2 cups milk OR dairy substitute
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
- Pinch of cayenne (optional)
- 8 ounces freshly grated cheddar cheese (about 2 cups)
- 4 ounces freshly grated gruyere or colby (about 1 cup)
- 4 ounces freshly grated pepper jack (about 1 cup)
- 4 ounces freshly grated parmesan cheese (about 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons Franks’s Hot Sauce (optional)
- 16 ounces, al dente cooked Gluten Free macaroni noodles
Preheat oven to 350°
- Put 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter in a 3-quart baking dish. Set aside.
- Fill a large stockpot half full with water. Cover and bring water to boil over high heat.
- Add one pound of gluten-free macaroni (elbow) noodles and a pinch of salt and return water to a boil. Cook according to package directions, until al dente (beginning to soften but still somewhat firm to the bite).
- While pasta is cooking shred cheeses and make the cheese sauce.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Whisk in 4 tablespoons of rice flour and cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Slowly whisk in milk or dairy free substitute. Increase heat to medium and whisk until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne (optional), Frank’s Hot Sauce (optional) and all the cheese!
- Stir until cheeses melt and mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Put the baking dish with butter in the preheated oven and leave just until butter melts. Remove and coat bottom and sides of the dish with butter using a pastry brush.
- Drain, rinse and pat dry cooked pasta. Pour half of the pasta in the baking dish and cover with about 1/2 of the cheese sauce. Distribute remaining pasta on top and evenly cover with remaining cheese sauce.
- Lightly salt and pepper and bake for 45 minutes or until top is golden and bubbling.
- Cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.