During the first trimester I was a huge slacker with the recipe postings. For this I apologize, but I couldn’t even cook food, let alone think of sharing a recipe about it.
But all of that has changed! I am officially 14 weeks today and into my 2nd trimester, so it’s back to the recipe fun.
Here’s a spicy little treat that is a hit at parties and is an easy snack to take to work. And don’t worry fellow preggos, it’s not spicy enough to leave you reaching for the Tums. 🙂
SPICY MOROCCAN CARROT DIP
4 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil (reserve ¼ cup for final drizzle at end)
2 teaspoons paprika
2 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
4 cloves garlic, chopped
Sea Salt and fresh ground black or white pepper to taste
12 whole fresh Whole Wheat Pita Bread rounds
2 tablespoonsextra virgin olive oil (for pita triangles)
2 tablespoons chili powder
1. Steam carrots until fork tender.
2. In food processor, coarse chop carrots, garlic, olive oil (reserve ¼ cup for final drizzle at end), cider vinegar, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Check seasonings for salt, pepper and heat, and adjust if need be.
3. Pour into serving dish. Garnish top with a few sprinkles of paprika and some chopped green olives if you would like. You may also top with some Italian parsley. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
4. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Cut pita bread into wedges. Lay flat on sheet pan and brush or spray with olive oil. Sprinkle with chili powder and salt.
5. Bake pita wedges for 15 to 25 minutes or until crunchy. Serve pita chips with carrot dip – warm or chilled – and enjoy.